Red Umbrellas

Susan MASTER GUIDE, in flight

Tonight we took a tour of the DC monuments. Though I've already seen most of them, it was still great fun, especially with our tour guide, a white-haired woman known only as "Susan, MASTER GUIDE" who carried a red umbrella and knew pretty much everything about the city.
Still, it was kinda eerie, especially when we approached the Vietnam Memorial. A veterans' organization left a few dozen sheets of paper at the foot of the monument, each listing a biography about a soldier on the panel above. They marked the anniversary of their deaths. Those pictures, those smiling pictures on the bios, were haunting, because at the very bottom of the papers were the words "Forever 20 years old."

Most of the dead were my age or younger -- the average was 19. I thought of how my dad was nearly drafted during college. I wonder why God said no. And I wonder why He said yes to these boys.
Vietnam Memorial

1 comments:

Jenna Lyndsay 11:54 PM  

Well thought Michelle. I feel as though it is something we could think about forever and never know the answer. My Dad was in the Vietnam War and I thank God he is now my Dad. It's interesting.

About this blog

The life, travels and journalistic adventures of Michelle