Everyone knows I'm in over my head

I've always wanted to write a blog with that title, because there are certainly many times when I feel that way.

But rather than expounding on the onslaught of articles I have to do today (Saturday, mind you) I think I'll share about this guy I know and absolutely admire.

He just went through hell and back. Or, more precisely, through hell week, the agonizing period of Navy SEAL training that involves staying awake for virtually 24 hours for five days. He conquered the cold, dark and unforgiving Pacific in five-mile night swims. He ran for miles, in sync with six other guys, as they carried a massive rubber raft atop their heads. And there is so much else he and his buddies did that makes boot camp look like sissy stuff.

SEAL training can bring big, tough men to their knees. And just 12 hours before the diabolical week was over, it brought my friend down too.

He was crushed as the doctor told him his sprained neck disqualified him from the SEALs, after ten months of back-breaking training. Now he awaits the Navy's signal -- either start over or good-bye.

Back home, he is spending a few days recovering from the tortures of hell week -- the chafing from running so much, the sprain from that abhorrent raft, and the ache of pneumonia-racked lungs.

He must be horrified that he was so close to his lifelong dream, only to stumble with the finish line in sight.

But I am dumbstruck by his courage He is still a hero. He is still a conquerer.

He is still a soldier.

0 comments:

About this blog

The life, travels and journalistic adventures of Michelle