


Today my church sent off some 109 kids and 15 counselors to children's camp. FREE. It's more than our church has EVER done, and it's so exciting to see the possibility that these kids -- and their parents and siblings -- are in for a life-changing experience. I really believe God is going to do some amazing things through this.
It's weird how I lost touch with the children's ministry after I left it. Being in the youth was about self-absorption. I always thought of how I could entertain or strengthen myself, entertain or strengthen my peers. Being away at college was just straight isolation.
But being back here, and working on things for the kids every day, is refreshing. Getting outside of myself is so refreshing. And isn't that what the Bible commanded anyway? Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these." Our job is to focus on the kids, which is something the church, and especially me, have neglected.
When I came to Christ, I was five years old. And people probably looked on that commitment, saying, "that's sweet" and dismissing it at the same time. After all, how can a kid really understand this whole Christianity thing?
But that commitment was as real then as it is now, and I owe it to God and to those people in my life who cared enough to teach me, even when I was a goofy little kid. God really does work through kids, and my prayer this week is that he will do it for these guys.
Sincerely,
Michelle
Monday, June 26, 2006
Labels: Being a Christian







0 comments:
Post a Comment