Los Pinguinos

Although I had my adorable infant brother Ruben to keep me company during the evenings, I really wanted some siblings that could talk. That’s where the neighbor kids came in. Nohany is 14, Esperanza is 11 and Wilmer is 10. They came over at night and we chatted about such things as the States, Pangaea, the Crocodile Hunter and Scary Movie III. I told them about my penguin obsession – about the penguin mousepad, the poster, the pajamas, the stuffed animals.

I was sad when, on my last full day, I didn’t see them. I had hoped we could run to the pulperia (corner store) together so I could buy them some treats. But it was late, so I sulked back to my room and climbed into bed.

A few minutes later, I heard a knock on my door. “Venga (come), Michelle!”

I stepped out to see those three holding out a good-bye present: a package of Pinguinos! Pinguinos are little chocolate cakes with cream filling, and pictures of happy penguins on the cellophane wrapper. I was floored. These three kids had scrounged up their own money, trekked to the pulperia and found the gift they knew would be perfect for me.

It was just a package of cupcakes. But the thought and the sacrifice spoke volumes. I’m just a stranger, an American who lived a few doors down for a couple of days. But Nohany, Esperanza and Wilmer opened their hearts to me as friends.

3 comments:

Unknown 10:47 PM  

Oh my word. That is so sweet.

Anonymous 5:57 PM  

You're cheating on me with Norphy--it's over.

Jk! That's honestly so sweet;)

Love,
Liss

Anonymous 5:57 PM  

It's safe to say I butchered that name.

About this blog

The life, travels and journalistic adventures of Michelle