Why I Strive

I was reading the Heidelberg Catechism today and it reminded me of why I'm striving for excellence in journalism.

Q. What does the Lord require of you in [the eighth] commandment (do not steal)?

A. That I do whatever I can for my neighbor's good


ooops. poking nicole in the eye during duck duck goose wasn't exactly "for my neighbor's good."

...that I treat others as I would like them to treat me...

I want to treat my bf, my buddy Jason and my future roommate like I want to be treated.

...and that I work faithfully...


In the tie is my role model. He showed me how to work faithfully and excellently.

...so that I may share with those in need."

I want to do it for the sake of my coworkers, these lovely ladies.

I love the idea that "do not steal" means more than "don't shoplift." It also means proactively doing what you can to be able to give the most to your neighbors.

It reminds me of journalism -- and my neighbors pictured above.

I'm not striving for myself. I'm not looking for accolades of my own.I am working for something greater -- for my God, for my neighbors.
I am putting in excellence because I dare not discount the grace by which you gave me the ability to work.
I am putting in excellence because I dare not sell my friends short.
I am putting in excellence because I want the best for my school and for the students who will become journalists after me. I want them to be equipped to change the world.

Lord, you have been faithful, and the least I can do is strive for faithfulness to you.

0 comments:

About this blog

The life, travels and journalistic adventures of Michelle